The Bible is unique among books as Christ was among men, in that it is the only book that claims repeatedly and consistently to be the truth.
It begins with the majestic words: “In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.” It does not argue the case; it simply states it. The sacramental introduction to the prophecies is: “Thus saith the Lord,” and a hundred fulfilled prophecies prove that the Bible is indeed the Word of God — the truth.
Without apology it refers to:
- The “manifestation of the truth” (IICor.4:2).
- The “knowledge of the truth” (IITim.3:7).
- Those who “have erred concerning the truth” (II Tim.2:18).
- Those who “resist the truth” (IITim.3:8).
- Those who “hold [hold down, suppress] the truth in unrighteousness” (Rom.1: 18).
- Those who “turn away their ears from the truth” (IITim.4:4).
- Those who “believe and know the truth” (ITim.4:3).
- Those who “acknowledge the truth” (Tit.1:1).
- Our Lord said to His Father: “Thy Word is truth” (John 17:17).
- Paul wrote to those who were saved when they “heard the word of truth, the gospel of [their] salvation” (Eph.1:13).
Where the truth is concerned God’s Word is all we need, for:
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction in righteousness;
“That the man of God may be perfect [complete], THOROUGHLY FURNISHED unto all good works” (II Tim.3:16,17).
To the Reader:
Some of our Two Minutes articles were written many years ago by Pastor C. R. Stam for publication in newspapers. When many of these articles were later compiled in book form, Pastor Stam wrote this word of explanation in the Preface:
"It should be borne in mind that the newspaper column, Two Minutes With the Bible, has now been published for many years, so that local, national and international events are discussed as if they occurred only recently. Rather than rewrite or date such articles, we have left them just as they were when first published. This, we felt, would add to the interest, especially since our readers understand that they first appeared as newspaper articles."
To this we would add that the same is true for the articles written by others that we continue to add, on a regular basis, to the Two Minutes library. We hope that you'll agree that while some of the references in these articles are dated, the spiritual truths taught therein are timeless.
Daily Email Devotionals
Would you like to receive short articles like this one every morning in your email? Subscribe by following the instructions below.